Skip to content

Student Visa Status

In most cases, a non-immigrant visitor minor child is eligible to apply for a dependent visa to either accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States and is usually allowed to attend a K-12 school. These students must still abide by the rules governing their visa status, and may not extend their stay for the purpose of finishing a school year or program.

If the Non-immigrant Status is: Child may attend K-12 schools
A-1, A-2 or A-3 Foreign govt. officials Yes
B-1 Visitor for business Limited
B-2 Visitor for pleasure Limited
C-1 to C-4 Aliens in transit No
D-1 to D-2 Crewmen No
E-1 Treaty trader Yes
E-2 Treaty investor Yes
F-1 Academic student Yes (not in JSD)
G-1 to G-5 Representative to International Org. Yes
H-1B Specialty worker or fashion model Yes
H-1C Nurses Yes
H-2A Agricultural worker Yes
H-3 Trainee Yes
I Foreign media representative Yes
J-1 Exchange visitor Yes (through Student Services)
L-1A, L-1B Intra-company transferee Yes
M-1 Vocational or language student Yes
N-8, SK-1, SK-2 or SK-4 Special immigrant Yes
NATO-1 to NATO-7 North Atlantic Treaty Organization Yes
O-1 Worker with extraordinary abilities Yes
O-2 Alien’s support accompanying O-1 Yes
P-1, P-2 or P-3 Athlete, artist or entertainer Yes
Q-1 Cultural exchange visitor No
Q-2 Irish Peace Process (Walsh Visas) Yes
R-1 Religious worker Yes
S5 or S6 Witness or informant Yes
T-1 Victim of trafficking Yes
TN North American Free Trade (NAFTA) Yes
TWOV (C4) Transit without visa No
U-1 Victim of certain criminal activity Yes
V-2 Child of LPR Yes